The World Road Association (PIARC), at its Executive Committee meeting held in Campeche, Mexico on 24thApril 2018, on request of the First Delegate of the United Republic of Tanzania, who is the Permanent Secretary (Works), Ministry of Works, Transport and Communication endorsed the Tanzania Roads Association (TARA) to be its National Committee for Tanzania. The signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the World Road Association (PIARC) and Tanzania Roads Association (TARA) for TARA acting as the National Committee of the World Road Association for Tanzania took place on 25th October 2018 during the PIARC Council Meetings in Yokohama, Japan.
TARA as a PIARC National Committee for Tanzania represents the World Road Association at national level. As a National Committee, TARA contributes to the dissemination of PIARC outputs, organize activities such as meetings, conferences and seminars, and undertake some membership services and administration duties in the country.
The roles and responsibilities of TARA as a PIARC National Committee for Tanzania includes:
- dissemination to stakeholders in Tanzania information provided by the World Road Association;
- dissemination to an international audience, through World Road Association, national or regional information about roads and road transport;
- identifying and proposing to the Tanzania’s First Delegate to the World Road Association specialists to participate in the work of PIARC's Technical Committees and Working Groups and supporting them;
- assisting the Tanzania’s First Delegate to the World Road Association by contributing views and national reports related to the activities of the World Road Association;
- organising every year the conference of the National Committee of the World Road Association (PIARC) for Tanzania;
- holding seminars on topics related to or concerning PIARC activities;
- promoting in Tanzania World Road Association membership of individual and collective members;
For the Tanzania Roads Association (TARA) to be able to fulfill effectively and efficiently its new assigned obligation as a PIARC National Committee for Tanzania, the Tanzania Roads Association (TARA) has entered into an agreement with the Ministry of Works, Transport and Communication (Works) in Tanzania for provision of funding for the technical assistance support to Tanzania Roads Association (TARA) for a period of three (3) years starting from financial year 2018/2019 for the purpose of building its capacity as the World Road Association (PIARC) National Committee for Tanzania.